You can attain permanent residency by applying to a province of Canada. The province will evaluate you to determine if you qualify under their requirements. If you do, the province will nominate you for permanent residency through their PNP program. All provinces, except of Quebec, participate in this program. In order to qualify, you must have the following:
- Work experience; and
- Willingness to reside in that province.
Taking the above into consideration, the province you apply to will evaluate you to determine if you will be a positive contribute to their economy. Each province will have it’s own requirements, criteria and programs that you must qualify under.
Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and criteria for their PNP. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers.
With the coming of the Express Entry Program in January 2015, you will be able to apply for PNP through the program itself. If you apply for PNP and receive an invitation, you will receive an additional 600 points towards your Express Entry CRS score.
You can be nominated under two streams:
- Under a non- Express Entry stream; and
- Under a province or territory’s Express Entry Stream.
The requirements for both of the above differ:
Under a non-Express Entry stream
- you will have to apply through the paper-based process, and
- if the province or territory finds you eligible and nominates you, you will send an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
Under a province or territory’s Express Entry Stream
- meet their requirements, and
- meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry
Steps to apply for Permanent Residence under PNP
There are three (3) steps you need to take in order to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency:
- Apply to the province or territory of your choice for a nomination;
- Have that province or territory nominate you;
- Once you receive the nomination, apply to CIC for permanent residency.
Please contact Subuhi Siddiqui Immigration Law Firm for your immigration, citizenship or status matter. To set up a consultation, give us a call at (647) 454-9364 or e-mail us at email@example.com.