Hours of Operation Mon to Fri - 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM
Contact Us T+16474549364
Email Us subuhi@ssimmigration.ca


A Live-in caregiver is a qualified individual who is able to provide their services to:

  • children;
  • an elderly person/people; or
  • a person with disabilities.


If this application is right for you, you (employee) and your employer would need to apply under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).


Both the employee as well as the employer have to meet certain requirements in order to apply for the LCP:

  • The employee has to have completed an education that is equivalent to a Canadian secondary school education (high school);
  • He/she should have a good knowledge of either English or French;
  • He/she should have the pre-requisite work experience-  a minimum of six (6) months of training or at least one (1) year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver in the past three(3) years. This includes at least six (6) months with one employer;
  • A written work contract, outlining all the clauses of the employment, between the employee and employer;
  • The employer in Canada has to apply and receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA); and
  • A valid work permit before the employee enters Canada.



In order to apply for a Live-in Caregiver, the following steps need to be completed:

  • Get a positive LMIA from your future employer;
  • Sign a written work contract with your employer; and
  • Apply for a work permit.



Once you submit your application to the appropriate visa office, you will receive instructions for medical tests and background criminal checks. An interview might also be scheduled between the decision officer and applicant. An interview is conducted in order for the decision officer to ensure that the applicant meets all the requirements.

If an individual passes the medical examination and security screening, and the officer is satisfied with the interview, the application will be approved. The approved individual will receive a letter of approval, and the work permit will be issued when the individual arrives in Canada.

Please note that the work permit is not a travel document. This mean that an approved individual will issue either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, which will be issued at the same time as the work permit.

Please contact Subuhi Siddiqui Immigration Law Firm for your immigration, citizenship or status matter. To set up a consultation, give us a call at (647) 454-9364 or e-mail us at subuhi@ssimmigration.ca.